Tuesday, May 13, 2008

When the Van is a'Rocking, Don't Come a'Knocking!

Before:



During:



The van is coming along as I make the changes needed to van dwell comfortably. This is the progress, as I put in the bed platform and sorted necessities into clear plastic bins underneath. I still have plans to obtain 42 inch 2 x 4's, to raise the bed platform slightly. Then deeper plastic bins will be housed safely.



A work in progress, with lots of editing and planning left to do:



The air mattress is an adjustable Coleman SUV model, that is 43 inches wide and up to 70 inches long--the exact width at the back of the van for those of us short folks who can sleep cross-ways. This gives a lot of room for the living space. A nice black bedspread is in the dryer, and will make the bed look more finished, while covering up the under platform storage area.



I especially like the clean lines of the pair of plastic three drawer units that fit perfectly behind the driver's seat. The top is perfect for meal preparation when i'm stuck inside. The drawers house other necessities, like toilet paper, batteries, gadgets, and the like.



Rocky the Van, parked in a quiet neighborhood:



I like the doors, because they can be used to rig up an awning, or even a privacy curtain for outdoor showers.



Next on the list:
  • Hitch-Mounted Bike Rack & Locking System
  • Custom Reflectix Window Pads - Removable
  • Install Alarm, Remote Start, and Locking Gas Cap
  • Custom Vecro or Magnet Mounted Interior Window Screens
  • Tires & Balance Wheels
  • Maintenane (oil, fluids, belts, wipers, brakes, etc.)
  • Evaluation (steering, transmission, electrical systems, engine, etc.)
  • Ladder & Roof Rack
  • Electrical Installation (deep cycle batteries, solar roof panels, wiring, cable, outside box, TV platform, etc.)
  • Solar Vent(s) Installation
  • Roof Air Conditioner Installation
  • Wood Stove Installation (venting outside, removable, fireproof underpad)
  • Swivel Seat Installation

The hitch-mounted bike rack will be ordered this Thursday. Friday, I'll buy the materials to make the custom window pads and interior screens, which I hope to finish during a three day van camping trip to French Creek starting this coming Sunday. I may have the alarm and remote start installed on Friday, if someone can come out that soon.

Next week will involve the maintenance part of the plans. I have someone who may be able to install the roof rack, ladder, and all the electrical the following week. I want to get all this done before I head to Missouri for a few weeks.

I'll give up the use of the van for a week in the summertime, to have the vents and AC installed. The AC is planned for use where electric is available.

The wood stove is a real wish list item. I think that a tiny wood stove is feasible, and with reflectix pads and heavy curtains for insulation I can keep the van safely heated off the grid using found wood.

It may take some effort to locate and have a swivel seat installed, but it would make it nice having a reclining seat available to make the interior space feel more roomy, and for guests.

I think with all that done, I can get the camper van improvements rolled into the insurance coverage, but I'll have to research it to be sure. I can't wait to get started!


No comments: