Friday, May 16, 2008

Procrastination

I'm still procrastinating. The software I need to work on is soooo easy, but I'm not into it. Instead, I'm huddled inside over a hot cup of oolong tea while buying gadgets for van camping, van dwelling, and van accessorizing. The roommate's alarm is beeping, for about ten minutes now. There, I just shut it off and got a reheat on the tea.

It's raining pretty steady today, here in Trappe, Pennsylvania. My bike is ready to pick up, but I told them I'd wait for the weather to clear a bit. I'm also waiting for the Thule bike rack to come in, but it probably won't arrive in time for my trip. So I purchased a Thule lock and rattle-dampener for the hitch, plus 4 adapters for transporting women's bikes. That's for the occasional trips with other mountain bikers. Now, I don't mind cold and wet, but only if I'm going to be having fun, not working, and taking a nice nap later. None of that applies, today. >^;^<

I found two new gadgets that I "must have" from the e-trailer website. One is a seat mounted trash can with lid, and the other is a seat mounted DVD player stand. That will raise stuff off the floor, while giving me a good view of the DVD player from the bed. I won't be traveling to buy the Home Depot stuff, or the sewing machine today. It is just too wet and miserable. Now is the perfect time to concentrate on my work. And I will concentrate, really I will.

Yawn.....

Oh, more fun shopping stuff. For hiking, camping, and general personal protection, I ordered some bear, dog, and human pepper spray. I plan to get a taser, in a few weeks. And for hiking and camping, I picked up two lightweight GSI recliners. I'm probably the only ultra-lightweight backpacker who carries a 30 oz camp recliner, but why else should I save on weight but to make room for my comforts and joys?

Someone recently asked me how things are going. Well, the accident case settled, I'm located in Pennsylvania to visit my son and new grandchild, I'm still working on the software project from hell, and I'm about to enter into a payment agreement with the infernal revenue service. That old adage of my Gran Gran's, "Never pay until you see the white's of their eyes!" and "Never give anyone your last dollar!" are my motto's. I'm hiking as much as possible, and planning some great van camping expeditions. So I'm stocking up on every item that would enhance my enjoyment of van camping, hiking, backpacking, biking, and general survival planning. I've acquired a night-vision monocular (so I can see if there is a bear outside my hammock), and new solar battery chargers.

In spite of the spate of buying and shopping, I'm not cluttering and I'm still downsizing. During my upcoming three day camping trip I'll further downsize my paperwork collection from 6 bins to 1 bin. My entire jewelry making collection fits under the van bed area. My clothes and toiletries fit into two large gym bags. My backpacking gear fits into a 1600 cc ultra-lightweight backpack, and the electronics and excess stuff fits into bins that travel in the van and are stored in the seats when I'm stopped or camping. At most I may want to pull a trailer for long trips, or have a roof-mounted cargo carrier for excess stuff. For the most part, I'm self-contained within the body of the van.

No comments: