Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Simplicity

It was a slow, hard slog through the morass of my belief systems before I finally got it. I knew that something was causing me pain in my life and sensed that it was the sheer falseness of getting and spending. Even during the past two years as I went through the process of getting rid of debt and downsizing I mostly didn't get it. I was still wrapped up in all my stuff.

Lately I haven't posted as much because I'm not dwelling on things anymore, but I want to post about my daily life living out of my van. The van is a nice sized, extended body vehicle with the two bench seats removed. I have a very heavy board over the wheel wells where I keep an SUV sized air mattress. Underneath I keep a crate of gallon water jugs, and bins with cooking equipment and food. The rest of the bins contain clothes, toiletries, a bathing kit, books, and paperwork.

Right behind the driver's seat there are two large plastic containers with three drawers in each. The drawers are latched so they don't open while I'm driving. There is a drawer devoted to quick food and drinks, with coffee, creamer, tea, and hot chocolate. I use a 12-volt smart mug to heat water in the van. Another drawer holds toilet paper, trash bags, port-a-potty waste management items, cleaning supplies, and all manner of paper/kitchen/household things.

A bottom drawer holds batteries, and a battery charger, plus various electrical items like my weather radio and flashlights. Another drawer contains current paperwork items, envelopes, binders, stamps, tape, stapler, and the usual office clutter. The two remaining drawers hold cups, plates, utensils, and condiments. The drawers are to quickly get to things I need. The bins are for when I stop and camp out.

My ultra-lightweight backpacking items hang in an ultra-lightweight backpack from a hook in the van. That holds a Katadyn water filter, solar shower, camping cookware and stove, and basic survival gear. A plastic bin under the "bed" holds extra backpacking gear.

For cooking I've found the simplest solution to be the best. A couple of fold-out wing stoves hold pots over any found fuel such as twigs, paper, and sticks. Some heavy duty aluminum serves as a windbreak. Titanium cookware serves to boil water or saute found veggies. A sharp knife and a cutting board serves as a food processer.

No comments: