Monday, April 21, 2008

Van Camper Planning

OK, now I have the van, and I've done a night in a state park to work out what I should do next. I'm happy enough with the van to think about how I could improve it for permanent living or camping, but the downside is that there isn't enough head room to stand up. Over the long haul that could be very uncomfortable.

I'd end up doing more in the van and even living in it if I could consistently walk around and not feel so claustrophobic. Of course I could live in the van in a pinch, but I'm deciding whether to use the current van for casual camping while searching for a taller van to outfit for living.

This matters because I want a permanent bed attached with room for storage underneath, a desk to work at, and an easy way to cook and clean up inside when necessary. It wouldn't make sense to outfit this van just to obtain and outfit another one, so here is how I thought I'd proceed:

1. Keep this van and have it mechanically checked and brought up to a state of excellence. I may need some suspension work, brakes, tires, and that should be it for another 30,000 miles. I need to verify that. I want money budgeted for the power train, or replacement of the van, as necessary.

2. Have electrical items installed-vent, roof AC, 110 volt wiring, cable wiring, panel to hookup to outside electric and cable, deep cycle batteries and box vented to the outside, and perhaps solar panels on the roof. Anything to make it simple to run a vent, fan, AC, or small heater as needed. The AC and heater would be run when hooked to outside power.

3. Install alarm & remote start-I can use that to run AC and heater from the engine in a pinch. Also install some kind of gas cap lock.

4. Install permanent screens and window coverings that are removable as necessary, using reflectix panels for when the windows need to remain shut. That includes window coverings for the cabin, too. The curtain between the cabin and the living space is still good for if a guest needs to use the potty behind the curtain. It *could* happen...

5. Clean up the rug, the walls, and the ceiling, and cover the walls with something attractive and easy to clean. Fit a rug that covers the bench seat holes and looks attractive.

6. Install a plywood bench across the back with enough room for a twin to 3/4 size mattress to be set up as a permanent bed/settee, using the underneath for storage of 8 lidded plastic bins with necessary items as storage for clothes, toiletries, extra food, and miscellaneous. Cover the plywood so it is smooth to the touch and attractive to look at. Cover the front opening to hide the clutter.

7. There is room for a small desk on the right of the van, to use for making jewelry inside, or to work. It can be a real desk or a jury-rigged desk, like a fold-down style that can be reached from the bed(?).

8. There is room for two plastic chest of drawers behind the driver's seat, with space to store a 5 gallon water bottle with a pump on it. I'd make the drawers the area for cooking, cleaning, and storing food. It would have dishes, utensils, sprouting supplies, spices, seasonings, trash bags, paper products, anything else related to eating and cleaning. There is room for a cooler behind the passenger seat for easy acces to cold items, both to clean it out, stock it, and fill it with ice.

When traveling, I'd use the living space in the back to hold folding chairs, a folding table, tools, inverter, travel bags, cleaning supplies, hiking gear, and extra items. When parked, these items would be stored in the cabin. Ideally, if I lived out of the van for long periods of time, I'd pull a sturdy enclosed trailer to stow sellable items and extra stuff. For the present I'll still work on downsizing, though I'm doing pretty good already. One van load and a half of personal treasures is not bad for a 51 year old grandmother.

>^;^<

No comments: